Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The 52 Book Pick Up

(This is an announcement, not a real post, please continue to vote on the sidebar! Pickles is in the lead.)

I've decided to challenge myself in 2008 with something I am calling "The 52 Book Pick Up". At first I thought I would try to read one hundred books this year but then I realized that is insanity and I still want to see my friends and watch SOME bad reality TV. So, there are 52 weeks in a year (I think) and I am going to finish 52 books this year.

If you would like to be a part of my super awesome plan then you should also read 52 books this year, on the train, waiting for a bus, on your lunch break. Be sure to keep track of your books. At the end of 2008 I will host a pizza party for anyone who was successful in "52 Book Pick Up" and there will be stickers and prizes and you will increase your self-worth. (Similar to the "Book-It" reading program of our 1980's childhoods, except this is more of a "Brooke-it" project.) Hopefully I will be eligible to attend. I’m already one down since I finished Pride and Prejudice yesterday. (Any book you started in 2007 but finish in 2008 is eligible.) I have a ton of books in line, but please feel free to make any suggestions. Don’t suggest I join goodreads cause I already did and it’s too much busy work for me. Here are the rules if you want to join in this super amazing challenge:

1. You must bring your list to the pizza party.
2. Books can be any genre except comic or cook or little baby books or books with tons of pictures, I mean, use your head and don’t cheat...it’s just pizza and self worth. In terms of kid's books, "Harry Potter" is fine, "Pat the Puppy" is not fine, you dig?
3. If you can’t make it to the super rad pizza party on the specified date...tough titties.
4. If you would like to do a half-assed version and read 26 books this year that's fine, you will get a different level of prizes. (Crappy). But you will still be half a winner in your own heart. And you can still have some pizza.
5. Re-reading books is fine, although not really the point, but fine. You actually have to re-read them though. And you can’t re-read the same book 52 times.
6. A book of 12 short stories counts as one book, not 12. However, a collection of 5 novels in one book counts as 5. Capiche?
7. All rules subject to change depending on how I’m doing.

I think you should really consider this challenge, you will be so much smarter by 2009 and all your friends will be envious and amazed! (and they will call you a nerd behind your back until they see your rocking stickers and smell your delicious pizza breath and are intimidated by your suddenly enormous self worth comin' at them.)

For further explanation of the rules...reconsider how invested you really are in this.

Ready, get set...

7 comments:

jessi said...

I read almost 100 books last year, so I think it's doable. Quite a few of those were young adult, though, because I'm in education. Check out bookcrossing.com - that might help you reach your goal. I'll participate, even though I doubt I'll be able to make the pizza party.

In other news, hi! I found your blog though your Austen-themed posts and it's very fun. I don't know if I've commented before or not. :)

Anonymous said...

I am totally in, though I likely won't make the pizza party. I love lists, I love goals and resolutions and all that...this is great practice!
PS, I heart goodreads, I don't get how it's too much busy work. it's like myspace for book snobs.

Bea said...

Thanks for commenting Jessi! If you read 104 books in 2008 I will buy you your very own personal pizza, that is amazing. Sarah, I know...I just haven't had time to really sit down with goodreads yet and figure it all out. It's like facebook, except with less people throwing chickens at me etc. Ha, I knew you would be up for this challenge!

Anonymous said...

I'm in. One of my goals is to read more books, that aren't cookbooks.
I feel like there should be a kickoff party though. We could figure out Goodreads and Facebook together.

jer said...

are you making fun of my book list? i'm in. i want to do this. not kidding.

Cathy said...

I'm in too. Let's throw caution to the wind!

Anonymous said...

I'm amending my goal slightly...I'm thinking instead of 52 books, 15,600 pages.
Or 52X300pgs=15,600.

Woohoo.